Saturday, January 25, 2014

Shaker Cupboard Photo Essay Part III

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


Playing with the mouldings for the cupboard - ovolo and cove.



Put together as a built-up profile.



Mock-up of crown moulding in place - I liked it, but it was to "colonial" for this cupboard.



A simpler crown moulding mock-up - better - but I would eventually remove the thumbnail top and just go with a simple cove moulding. This also shows a test of one hinge design - taped in place - I liked it, but in the end went with one that had removable pins - it was easier to work with.



Doors complete - final fitting with the planes.



Doors fit - the end is in sight!



Hinge work - and a new appreciation of the Stanley #95 butt gauge.



Close-up of chisel scoring of hinge mortise.



Finishing the mortise with a router plane.



Testing the fit.



Making pilot holes with awl - a sharpened finish nail chucked in old cobblers awl - the twisting motion seperates the wood fibers - I have more control than with a drill.



Lower doors hung.



Upper doors hung and knobs installed - I turned the knobs on my spring pole (shock cord) lathe - definitely the craftsmanship of risk - I need WAY more practice, and I think I should have used air dried birch rather than kiln dried pine.



Detail of knobs - the conflicting grain patterns wont matter once the cupboard is painted.



Speaking of which... milk paint of course - Union Blue from The Real Milk Paint Co. The cove mouldings had also been added to the top and the step.



And its done! "Make Way! Blow the trumpets!"

There are still a couple of tweaks needed. I dont like how bright the hinges are - one day I will dull them down a bit. And I might add a second coat of milk paint eventually, but that depends on how it ages... But for now we are very happy with it! And I am very glad to have it out of the shop and in the house! Finally!



A group shot of the tools used on this project. The two contraptions at the bottom are my shooting board and the main part of the treadle lathe (w/o treadle). Missing from photo: miter box.




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment