Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Epic Fail

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
This is me, staying true to documenting my days in the shop, even the days when things dont go right.

Im gonna start by saying I dislike carving signs, I can do them and I think I do them alright, but they are picky, tedious, exacting things that people usually do not want to pay enough for. Id rather give the business to the router guys with the pantographs.


I agreed to do this one as a favor, the client is one of my wifes good friends who wanted a sign for her parents camper. I checked and double checked the spelling with her and even made her text message the spelling to me. But I once again proved my humanity, because as I was typing the words into the computer to print out my template I focused very particularly on the word "Reinekes"  Seems like the tricky one in this sequence doesnt it.

"Clair" is supposed to have an "e" on the end of it.

To make the matters worse. . . I wasnt the one who noticed. I stopped at the point I took this picture because I wasnt sure what I wanted to do with the open areas on the sides yet. I took another pic with my iPhone and sent it to the client to show her the progress.

My mistake was the first thing she noticed.

Ive looked and Ive looked at it and theres not a good bail out at this point. The right thing to do is to start again from rough board. Its a shame to waste a nice piece of cherry like this but this one will hang around with me for a while to remind me, so maybe its not a waste of cherry after all.

Ratione et Passionis
Oldwolf

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment