Thursday, February 6, 2014

Shooting Board Part 1

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


Like all the rest of the crazies that get involved with this vintage tool hobby, I have decided to build a plane. Along with this, The Blogbloke has convinced me that a Shooting Board is just the ticket so I decided to combine the two; designing and building a Shooting Board first, then make a dedicated plane for it after. Is there no end to my masochism?


So far, I have come up with some basic dimensions and an idea of how I would like to construct it.




So with this, I have officially started putting together the design for the Shooting Board, but not just any Shooting Board; a Shooting Board to end either all Shooting Boards, or me, whichever comes first.


Here are the “must haves” that need to be included in the final results:
  • Combine esthetics with functionality
  • Adjustable Runway angle (ramp or parallel)
  • A Mitre Fence and a Bird’s House or Donkey’s Ear
  • Functional for end and edge grained stock
  • Heavy construction
Some “I would like” considerations:
  • The esthetics should be “out there” a little bit
  • Ramped Runway should angle down on the stock
  • All attachments should attach quickly but firmly, with no movement
  • Designed and built for the “long-haul”
While I have a few rough drawings of the plane, I do know it will have:
  • 12° blade angle
  • 2 5/8” wide blade
  • Runs in twin slot extrusions that will be let in to the Runway similar to the Stanley No. 51 & 52
As I mentioned earlier, The Blogbloke convinced me that a Shooting Board was the way to go through this article…
http://woodbloker.blogspot.com/2009/08/global-warming.html
Then Derek Cohen over on In The Woodshop added to it with this posting…
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/ShootingforPerfection.html
Then Stephen, over on the FullChisel blog, threw some more usable information into the mix with…
http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=154

The irony in building a Shooting Board is having to shoot the stock for it without a Shooting Board.


What Is It?



And while we are on the subject of plans, here is a section of a plan I recently finished for a separate project I am doing. If you click here, the full plan will display. Any idea what this is?

Peace,

Mitchell

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment